By Alana Mauger
May is Military Appreciation Month, established by the U.S. Congress in 1999 to recognize our uniformed forces for their service, past and present. These include members of the Army, Navy, Air Force, Coast Guard, Marines, Space Force and National Guard. The month holds several military anniversaries and events, including Military Spouse Appreciation Day (May 7), Armed Forces Day (May 15) and Memorial Day (May 31).
The American Red Cross has been serving members of the military for more than 135 years and has deployed alongside the military in every U.S. conflict since the Spanish-American War. Each year, the Red Cross provides nearly a half million services to active-duty military and veterans, and their families, to help them prepare for, cope with, and respond to the challenges of military service.
From the first day of enlistment, service members and their families are eligible for Red Cross assistance, including:
- Emergency Communications – The Red Cross Hero Care Center is available 24/7 to deliver verified messages across the world when there is an emergency at home.
- Deployment Services – The Red Cross offers a variety of workshops, tools and support services to help service members and their families deal with practical and emotional challenges.
- Services for Veterans – Red Cross volunteers serve in Veterans Administration (VA) and military hospitals to provide comfort, build morale, encourage volunteerism, and assist with benefits information and appeals.
- Information Referral – Through our network of about 250 local chapters, the Red Cross provides confidential services and connections with local, state, and national resources across the nation and on 35 military installations worldwide.
- Hero Care App – The free Hero Care App helps users identify and access both emergency and non-emergency Red Cross services from anywhere in the world. The app can be downloaded from our website, by visiting any app store, or by texting GETHEROCARE to 90999.
To learn more about how the Red Cross supports service members, veterans and their families, visit the Support Military Families section of our website.
Primary image description: An Asian female soldier walks alongside a white male Red Cross volunteer outside.